- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and egg.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Then, add the molasses and vanilla.
- Let the dough rest for 2 hours in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough to ¼-inch thick and cut with a cutter. For crunchy cookies, roll slightly thinner. Tip: When rolling out dough, lightly grease the surface you’re rolling on to keep the dough from sticking to the surface.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Pairs well with Riesling, such as Flying Otter’s Riesling.