Summer is just about here, which means if you aren’t overrun with fresh, homegrown zucchini already, you likely will be soon. If your garden is overflowing with this seasonal squash (or if your co-workers are anonymously leaving veggies on your desk), make the most of the excess with this recipe for cherry and walnut zucchini bread, courtesy of Cherry Republic.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Montmorency dried cherries
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup dark chocolate chip morsels (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease the bottom and sides of an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan.
- Blend eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Squeeze excess water from grated zucchini; stir into batter.
- Separately, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into batter until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Fold dried cherries and walnuts into the batter. Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.